HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WRITING FORMAL LETTERS?
Read the following statements, then decide if they are true or false:
- When the letter starts Dear sir we end it with Yours sincerely,
- You can end a letter to someone you know with Best wishes,
- The first paragraph of the letter should explain your reason for writing.
- You should start a new paragraph for each sentence.
- You should leave a space between each paragraph.
- Ms is the title used for a married woman.
- Master is the title used for a man.
- If you are writing a formal letter, it is not a good idea to use contractions. (I’m is the contraction of I am; can’t is the contraction of cannot)
- When you are writing an application for a job, it is a good idea to say what a wonderful person you are. For example,I am intelligent, honest and I work very hard.
- When you apply for a job, it is a good idea to use a recycled envelope.
Applying for a job:
Check the following webpages for specific formal letters:
Letter of complaint sample
Letter of apology sample