Monday 17 September 2012

1st BATXILLERAT Tense Consolidation: Present Tenses

DO THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES:

1. Choose the most appropriate words underlined:

  1. I haven't decided yet about whether to buy a new car or a second-hand one. But I think about it / I'm thinking about it.
  2. All right, you try to fix the television! But I hope / I'm hoping  you know what you're doing!
  3. Every year I visit / I'm visiting Britain to improve my English.
  4. It's time we turned on the central heating. It gets / It is getting colder every day.
  5. Of course, you're Mary, aren't you! I recognise / I am recognising you now.
  6. What's the matter? Why do you look / are you looking at me like that?
  7. The film of War and Peace is very long. It lasts / It is lasting over four hours.
  8. I can see from what you say that your mornings are very busy! But what do you do / are you doing in the afternoons?
  9.  That must be the end of teh first part of the performance. What happens now / is happening now?
2. Choose the most suitable word or phrase to complete each sentence.
  1. What exactly ..........?    a) is this job involving          b) does this job involve
  2. Who exactly ...........?    a) does own this car           b) does this car belong to
  3. ......... that we have been here for six months already!  a) Do you realise      b) Are you realising
  4. Terry is in bed. He .......... flu.    a) has       b) is having
  5. This new teaching job is really difficult, but ........    a) I survive        b) I'm surviving
  6. What ......... on that notice?    a) does is write       b) does it say
  7. Absolutely! I ............ with you completely.    a) agree      b) am agreeing
  8. Ladies and gentelmen, I ........ this ship HMS Highlight.    a) name      b) am naming
  9. ................ this car. Do you want to buy it?     a) I sell       b) I'm selling
3. Put each verb in brackets into the most suitable present tense.
  1. I ........... (hear) that you have been promoted. Congratulations!
  2. British people .......... (drink) more and more wine, apparently.
  3. I hope Sarah will be here soon. I ............. (depend) on her.
  4. Please be quiet! You ........... (continually interrupt).
  5. Hey, you! What ............. (you think) you're doing?
  6. Could you come here please? I ............... (want) to talk to you now.
  7. Jane is away on holiday so Linda .............. (handle) her work.
  8. To be hones, I ......... (doubt) whhether Jim will be here next week.
  9. You've only just started the job, haven't you? How ........... (you get on)?
  10. Pay no attention to Graham. He ............ (just be) sarcastic again.
4. Rewrite each sentence, beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same.
  1. What's your opinion of Ted's new books? What do you think of Ted's new books?
  2. Nigel keeps interrupting me. Nigel is .....................................................................
  3. What is the meaning of this word? What does .....................................................?
  4. The number of people who own bicycles is increasing. More and more people ................................
  5. What about going to that new film at the Rex tonight? How do ........................................................
  6. What is the weight of that piece of meat? How much........................................................................
  7. Paul has flu. Paul is .........................................................................................................................
  8. There's a smell of onions in this room. This room .............................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment